Monday, February 18, 2013

NEW LAYOUT: Travel Buddy, 12"x12"



Just a quick layout share today. I actually filmed this layout coming together so I could do a YouTube video, but my video editing software is on strike and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. :/


 
 
 This is a photo I took from the Dulles Airport baggage carousel. I decided to let Teddy (my bear I've had since I was in utero - yes, I know that the name "Teddy" is not super original) out of the carry-on bag so he could breathe. He's getting pretty cranky in his old age, to be honest. :)

My big experiment for this layout was to not use a paper trimmer - all of these layers were cut by hand (well, with scissors) from papers in the Basic Grey "Soleil" collection.

 
 

The chipboard letters are actually from the Basic Grey "Lemonade" collection - ancient history! I used dots of "Buttercup" Liquid Pearls to break up all that fuchsia.

You can also see some of my homemade washi tape in the corner there.




Here I used a wood veneer camera from Studio Calico and some flair from Heidi Grace. I love that fabric heart flair - looks just like a brad, but less work!

I'm also addicted to putting her tiny flair dots in my wood veneer camera lenses. I like how the flair's shine mimics a real "lens" look.




I cut these tiny tags with the Cheery Lynn "Tags #2" Die from the GMUND white wood grain paper.

I used the white so I could dye them to match with my Distress Stains. That was a bit of an ordeal & I'm not 100% in love with how the colors turned out, but it's done! I used staples instead of strings through the holes for some added shine and texture. 


 

Speaking of shine and texture, these gems and pearls from Kaiser Craft added a lot! I sprinkled them randomly to mimic the bokeh filter on the photo.

Quick Tip: To make elements like bling look "random" mix up the sizes and place some closer together and other farther apart. Trying to space elements the same size out evenly will make it look more engineered than random.

Hope you guys all had a GREAT weekend! I know that a lot of you in the USA are not totally done with the weekend (Happy Presidents Day!), so enjoy the holiday today!

Kathryn

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think I want to try that technique again, for sure. I used that Cheery Lynn die to cut as many little tiny tags as I could from my wood grain paper scraps & keep them in a baggie with my embellishments. Love them!

      Delete
  2. What a fun, wonderful & creative layout! I like to travel with a "companion" too. I must confess that I forgot him on this trip! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, how cute! Travel buddies are the best. :) I once left this guy in a Chicago hotel room, but he was saved by the ladies in housekeeping.

      He was NOT happy at all when he arrived back in DC. Scary!

      Thanks for your sweet comment - so glad you enjoyed the layout!

      Delete
  3. Great job Kathryn! I really like this layout. The elements and colors and lovely.

    TFS ~ Tracey J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathryn, I really like the way you "sprinkled" the gems across the page! It really is the thing that brings everything together. So pretty! And really...Teddy? May I just say that I have been watching your show for a while now and I promise you I would have never guessed that you are the kind of woman that would travel with her childhood "friend". LOL! Thank you for sharing! You are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete